Pastors On Evolution and Creation
A recent survey indicates that pastors are beginning to change their views on evolution and creation. And I think that’s a good thing!
Thomas Jay Oord, Ph.D.
Thomas Jay Oord is a theologian, philosopher, and scholar of multi-disciplinary studies. He is the author or editor of a dozen books and professor at Northwest Nazarene University, Nampa, Idaho. Oord is known for his contributions to research on love, relational theology, science and religion, Wesleyan/Holiness/Church of the Nazarene thought, Evangelical theology, and postmodernism.
Oord was raised on a farm in the small farming community of Othello, Washington. He attended Northwest Nazarene College and graduated in 1988. After four years in pastoral ministry in Walla Walla, Washington, he attended Nazarene Theological Seminary in Kansas City, Missouri. Upon graduating with a Masters of Divinity, he attended Claremont Graduate University in Southern California. He earned a Masters of Arts in Religion and a Ph.D. at Claremont. While pursuing graduate studies, he was a part-time associate pastor in Bloomington, Ca. Oord taught philosophy at Eastern Nazarene College for four years. In 2002, he returned to the Northwest to teach at his undergraduate alma mater.
Oord is an ordained elder in the Church of the Nazarene and attends the Nampa First Church of the Nazarene. He serves in various consulting and administrative roles for academic institutions, scholarly projects, and research teams. He and his wife, Cheryl, have three daughters.
About this website
You’ve reached the online home of Thomas Jay Oord, a professor, author, and theologian from the Pacific Northwest. Read more
- Love and Altruism
- Open and Relational Theology
- Postmodern Philosophy, Theology, and Culture
- Theology and Science
- John Wesley, Holiness, and the Church of the Nazarene
- ...and the Kitchen Sink
- Pastors On Evolution and Creation
- Six-Word Love Notes
- Books I’m Reading
- Plantinga, Divine Action, and Free Will
- An Alternative Doctrine of Creation: God Always Creates out of Creation in Love
- Understandable but Not Convincing Reasons to Affirm Creatio Ex Nihilo
- An Evil World and a God Who Controls Others? - A New Doctrine of Creation 2
- A New Doctrine of Initial Creation - 1
- Options in Divine Action
- Evangelicals Accept Evolution
- Is Jesus the way?
- A Theologian Evaluates Intelligent Design: Part 3 of 3
- Imitate God—Take Risks!
- A Story to Orient Our Lives: Narrative
- The Essence of Christianity
- God Can’t!—and the Bible Says So
Thomas Jay Oord is a professor, author, and theologian from the Northwest. Read more