God and the Laws of Nature
Theologians and philosophers are especially interested in the fundamental nature of law-like regularity in our world. I’ve been thinking lately about how we might best think of God’s relationship to these so-called “laws of nature.”
Thomas Jay Oord, Ph.D.
Thomas Jay Oord is a theologian, philosopher, and scholar of multi-disciplinary studies. He is the author or editor of more than twenty books and professor at Northwest Nazarene University, Nampa, Idaho. Oord is known for his contributions to research on love, relational theology, science and religion, Wesleyan/Holiness/Church of the Nazarene thought, Evangelical theology, and postmodernism.
Oord was raised on a farm in the small farming community of Othello, Washington. He attended Northwest Nazarene College and graduated in 1988. After four years in pastoral ministry in Walla Walla, Washington, he attended Nazarene Theological Seminary in Kansas City, Missouri. Upon graduating with a Masters of Divinity, he attended Claremont Graduate University in Southern California. He earned a Masters of Arts in Religion and a Ph.D. at Claremont. While pursuing graduate studies, he was a part-time associate pastor in Bloomington, Ca. Oord taught philosophy at Eastern Nazarene College for three years. In 2002, he returned to the Northwest to teach at his undergraduate alma mater.
Oord is an ordained elder in the Church of the Nazarene and attends The Table Church of the Nazarene. He serves in various consulting and administrative roles for academic institutions, scholarly projects, and research teams. He and his wife, Cheryl, have three daughters.
About this website
You’ve reached the online home of Thomas Jay Oord, a professor, author, and theologian from the Pacific Northwest. Read more
- Love and Altruism
- Open and Relational Theology
- Postmodern Philosophy, Theology, and Culture
- Theology and Science
- John Wesley, Holiness, and the Church of the Nazarene
- ...and the Kitchen Sink
- God and the Laws of Nature
- New Manual Statement on Creation
- A Time for Sabbatical
- Free Will in Philosophical Theology
- Renovating Holiness
- What I Learned at Exploring Origins
- Books I’m Reading Now
- Making Sense of Love & Evil, Chance & Purpose
- Imitate God—Take Risks!
- Options in Divine Action
- A Theologian Evaluates Intelligent Design: Part 3 of 3
- Evangelicals Accept Evolution
- The Essence of Christianity
- Richard Hays and John Wesley
- Beyond Wynkoop’s Love Language
- Clark Pinnock Passes on to Glory
Thomas Jay Oord is a professor, author, and theologian from the Northwest. Read more