Exploring Origins Conference
I’ve been planning a conference on origins with Mark Mann at Point Loma Nazarene University. The major issue for discussion is evolution. I'm happy to report the conference plans are coming together nicely!
Thomas Jay Oord, Ph.D.
Thomas Jay Oord is a theologian, philosopher, and scholar of multi-disciplinary studies. He is the author or editor of more than twenty books and professor at Northwest Nazarene University, Nampa, Idaho. Oord is known for his contributions to research on love, relational theology, science and religion, Wesleyan/Holiness/Church of the Nazarene thought, Evangelical theology, and postmodernism.
Oord was raised on a farm in the small farming community of Othello, Washington. He attended Northwest Nazarene College and graduated in 1988. After four years in pastoral ministry in Walla Walla, Washington, he attended Nazarene Theological Seminary in Kansas City, Missouri. Upon graduating with a Masters of Divinity, he attended Claremont Graduate University in Southern California. He earned a Masters of Arts in Religion and a Ph.D. at Claremont. While pursuing graduate studies, he was a part-time associate pastor in Bloomington, Ca. Oord taught philosophy at Eastern Nazarene College for three years. In 2002, he returned to the Northwest to teach at his undergraduate alma mater.
Oord is an ordained elder in the Church of the Nazarene and attends The Table Church of the Nazarene. He serves in various consulting and administrative roles for academic institutions, scholarly projects, and research teams. He and his wife, Cheryl, have three daughters.
About this website
You’ve reached the online home of Thomas Jay Oord, a professor, author, and theologian from the Pacific Northwest. Read more
- Love and Altruism
- Open and Relational Theology
- Postmodern Philosophy, Theology, and Culture
- Theology and Science
- John Wesley, Holiness, and the Church of the Nazarene
- ...and the Kitchen Sink
- Exploring Origins Conference
- Arminius as Theologian of Grace?
- Arminius on Foreknowledge and Predestination
- Nazarenes Reject Strict Inerrancy
- Books I’m Reading Now
- The Import of Defining Love
- Nazarenes Exploring Evolution
- The Unsatisfactory Mystery of Divine Action
- Imitate God—Take Risks!
- Options in Divine Action
- A Theologian Evaluates Intelligent Design: Part 3 of 3
- Evangelicals Accept Evolution
- The Essence of Christianity
- Richard Hays and John Wesley
- Beyond Wynkoop’s Love Language
- Clark Pinnock Passes on to Glory
Thomas Jay Oord is a professor, author, and theologian from the Northwest. Read more